Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Starting Line...

Rounding the final corner of my 5km running route has never been more painful. I remember when running was easy. It was competitive and challenging, but I was good at it. As I struggle up the last hill of my run at a next-to-snail's pace, I try not to think about how easy it used to be.

After almost 20 years of competitive soccer, last summer I decided to take some time off. One year and 20 pounds later, I'm determined to get back in shape.

But it's not going to be easy. Like anything, fitness is a habit, and once you drop a habit it's tough to get it back. In my life, two-hour fitness practices have been replaced by watching The Biggest Loser with a pack of m&ms and take-out Chinese food (extra fried noodles, of course). Weekend tournaments have been replaced by too many beers, excessive brunches, and marathons of trashy reality TV like The Girls Next Door and The Hills. My body, formerly a well-oiled machine, has been replaced with a larger, softer, inferior version of its former self.

Slowly but surely, I've developed symptoms of the "has been" syndrome at the early age of 22. I'm a believer in fitness as an integral aspect of personal success, and I won't be satisfied until I get it back.

My run today was okay. About 5km, one walking break (what, it was a big hill!)and only about six glares from patio-diners for sounding like a 70-year-old, 500lb woman with serious asthma as I trudged by.

My goals, for the next six weeks, are to:
- Run at least 4x per week
- Lose 10lbs
- Stop eating crap
- Cut down on my reality TV addiction (but not completely...)

Follow along and help me change my lazy life!

2 comments:

  1. I find doing sprint training really helps because you are really working hard, but its ok to stop and walk back to the starting line, in a sense. I find this great when you are starting to get back into running because you can do more of it that jogging. Don't get demoralized and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steve's comment. I'm no expert, but from articles and studies that I have read, sprinting is supposed to have more benefits than longer jogs. Whether this is because of the fact that it works the anaerobic system, or simply because it carries a continuous burn/relax/burn again, it is said to burn more fat and increase cardiovascular endurance. Maybe mix a little more of both into your workouts!

    ReplyDelete